"Tell your children of Him, and let your children tell their children, and their children to another generation." Joel 1:3

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A "growing up" makeover

I'd been telling the boys since I was done with daycare that I would redo their room. Tyler and Timmy first had this downstairs room when we moved into the house 5 years ago. At that time, they were 5 & 7 and really loved jungle animals so that became the theme.
I got this great border that made their room look like a jungle. I bought some leopard comforters and painted animals on the wall. And lemmetellya, it was hard to paint over those animals.....I still remember doing them and the time it took.




I loved it, they loved it, they grew up, they got tired of it.
This past Christmas, when Tyler got his own new room....we moved Trae down with Timmy. Since then, there has been this debate going on about what sort of room they wanted. Vikings, Baseball, Hunting.....ah, we don't even hunt.....until finally I took the thing about hunting they liked, the camouflage, and suggested a military theme. I would say Army theme, but that just would not go over well in this Marine loyal home.
First step....peeling off the border. My LEAST favorite thing to do in the whole world.



Then, we moved their bunk beds into a new spot. We didn't think they would fit at first, but Tim and Trae had already measured it cuz it was their idea. This new spot makes their desk inaccessible....except for collecting stuff....for doing homework.......but they never used it for that anyway.

Actually, not only did it fit....it fit like it was made to go there. Not an inch to spare. This gave their tiny room a ton more space.

The walls are an Army......er, I mean, military....green on the bottom and a tan on top.


Got some things hung that I found on Amazon...

Including these stickers and a camo blanket that I sort of fashioned into a valence.


At the end of it all, what matters most is if the boys like it, and they do. They love their new, more grown up room. It was like a new chapter....going from jungle animals to the military. **Sigh** Next thing I know they'll be putting up posters of girls in bikinis.

2 comments:

Sue said...

You are a great artist. Love the animals that you painted on the wall. It is hard to believe they grow up fast.

Kristin Jordan said...

Love it Jenny - good job!!