"Tell your children of Him, and let your children tell their children, and their children to another generation." Joel 1:3

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tyler's graduation

Thursday night, Tyler graduated from 8th grade.  I know it's only 8th grade, but it was especially nice because he has been at the same school and with the same kids since they were all in kindergarten.  I felt like I was watching all my own kids since I've seen them all grow up since age 5.
The evening started with mass and then the actual grad ceremony. 
As I was sitting there listening to the mass I felt so fortunate that we're ending Tyler's time at his school this way.  It made me think about all the times our faith has been reinforced during his 9 years there....going all the way back to when he was in kindergarten.  Jason was serving in Iraq during a really scary time and I was pregnant with Tony.  I got a call from his teacher asking if they could make cards for the Marines there and I could send them.   A few days later Tyler brought home a large envelope full of papers that the kids had done.  As I went through them, many said the same things.....as though the teacher had put some ideas on the board of what they could say on their card.  Things like,  "Thank you" and  "God bless America" and "Jesus Loves You" were written on most.  I remember crying at all the pictures of soldiers, flags, and crosses.  I sent them off and Jay handed them out to his unit in Iraq. 
Another time was about 5 years ago when a 6th grade boy was hit by a car while riding his bike home from school and killed.  It was obviously devastating for the whole community and I remember being very grateful that the kids were going to be able to go to school and pray for him and his family.  They were offered counseling and it could be faith based, the entire school went to the funeral mass during their school day. 
There was the time the band teacher was done with a concert and started talking about the light in all of these kids and that this light was Jesus Christ.  How it shined in all of them. 
Or when we were going to China to get Olivia and I got emails from many of the kids' teachers telling me they were praying for us...and the same for the day of her surgery. 
There's the daily intentions the kids can say in morning prayer, the daily rosary, the weekly mass, Religion class, the Christmas programs and Easter break.  I'm grateful for it all.
It's not easy paying for the tuition for their school.  Having 5 kids there this year was a struggle.  But when I sit there looking at all these kids that Tyler has spent these years with....and I watch 2 of his closest friends get the Christian Leadership award.....I know that it's been worth every penny and I wouldn't change a thing.  I love that school so much and I can't wait to be sitting there 5 more times being grateful for the years spent. 

2 comments:

Lindy D. said...

How blessed you are to have such a wonderful school for your kids. I love how happy your children look... such big smiles!

Debi said...

dang i feel old!! i remember him looseing teeth!!LOL congrats young man!! cant wait to watch high school days!!