"Tell your children of Him, and let your children tell their children, and their children to another generation." Joel 1:3

Thursday, May 5, 2011

My sweet boys

My boys have a knack for making me smile. 
Sometimes without even realizing I need it....they say just the right thing. 
I've always said they are very affectionate and protective of their mama....
so maybe they sense when something they say will offset some of the stupid things other people say.

These are just a few of the things that people have said to me about our adoption and about Livi.

Before adopting....
"Are you sure you want to do that?"
"What......5 isn't enough?"
"Want that girl, huh?" 
   -I know that one doesn't sound that bad, but I've really gotten sick of it after hearing it about a million times-
"Kept trying for a girl, huh"
    -Um...no, we kept trying for a child

Since we brought her home....
"You adopted when you already have 5.....wow, I hope they have a return policy?"
    -and this chick wasn't even smiling when she said it
"Is she yours or did you adopt her?" 
    -Umm.....both?
"Finally got your girl, huh?" 
   -I know...not terrible...but again...a million times...every.single.day.  ugh
It makes me feel like I wasn't happy to complete with my boys and that makes me feel very defensive of them and has made me really hate that comment.
"How much did she cost" (store clerk....they always have the most interesting comments)
    -um, she was marked down on sale....yep, we got a good deal on her.  She's like a little bargain baby.
And then there was the store clerk who, as soon as we got the the checkout, kept saying...."Oh, poor baby....poor, poor baby.....oh, that poor thing....." 
About 25 times during the whole checkout process. 
I finally said, "She's not a poor baby...she's a very happy, healthy baby and she'll be just fine". 
To which she replied..."Oh, I know...but poor, poor baby"
Oh, brother. 

This is what I hear at home from my boys.....and it makes me forgot all those
stupid comments.  Why are kids smarter than some adults?

When Tyler found out she was scheduled to get her lip surgery done...
"aw, I'm gonna miss it.  It's like a part of her" 

Trae, the other night as we are all sitting in the family room getting a kick out of something silly she was doing...
"how did we get so lucky to get her?"

Tanner, when he came in from outside and left her out there with dad and his other brothers...
"mom, she was so sad that I was leaving her....it's because she just loves me so much"
He's always saying how she's so cute and how much he loves her.  And this is the kid that everyone was wondering if he'd be jealous.....nope.

Those are just a few of the things that come to mind. 
There are so many times, daily, that they all say how much they love her. 
They hate to see her cry. 
They fight over who's next to hug and kiss her goodnight. 
Anyone who ever teases her or, God forbid, decides to date her will have to get through them first.
She is so lucky to have such sweet brothers.....
 ....and I'm so lucky to have my beautiful boys.

3 comments:

Sue said...

welcome to the world of people that don't think. You will get use to it and start have snappy comebacks as I have learned. I have also used it to educate people. Your boys are awesome

Football and Fried Rice said...

What a sweet post to and about your boys! They have already grafted Livi in and they already adore her - that is why God tells us to have faith like a child! Amen and amen for you raising those boys to be compassionate and loving! God handpicked you to Livi's new family for this reason!

Dan and Amy said...

I love this post Jenny! It's so sweet....little boys are the greatest and you wouldn't trade them in for anything in the world! Livi is lucky to have such great brothers:)