"Tell your children of Him, and let your children tell their children, and their children to another generation." Joel 1:3

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Favorite things

I figured if Oprah can do a whole hour long show on her favorite things....surely I could do one post.
Two main differences.....
Not one person reading this will get even close to being as excited as her audience does....
and you don't get to keep all the things listed.
But other than that...it's exactly the same.
Just thought it would be fun.

This won't be a list of fancy gadgets...cuz, frankly, I don't have any of them.
But here goes....

1. I LOVE my computer and the internet. Just today, I was on the phone with the a new dentist office making appts. for the boys check ups and when she asked if they were due for x-rays at this next visit, I just hopped on my insurance site and looked up their last appt. Done. And when I was making dinner, I needed to know how much fiber was in celery....just typed in my question and viola. Done. When my sister gets sick of the winter weather, which is often, and wants to see what the temp. is in Cancun at this very moment, she just looks it up. Done.
Pretty awesome when you think about it.

2. Pay at the pump gasoline. Seriously....this is the best thing ever. Especially when you have small kids in the car and don't have to bring them in just to pay....and when it's 10 below outside in the winter, you can hop back in the car while it pumps and drive away when done.
This is, by far, my favorite invention the the 20th century.

3. Wrestling. Okay, so this isn't really a tangible thing...but I LOVE watching the boys in wrestling. Not the "at home on the carpet in front of Jay and I while we're trying to watch a show" sort of wrestling....the kind where they're at school, on the mat, with an apponant, and doing awesome things that impress even their coach. Sooo fun! I have to be careful I am not the crazy mom yelling from the side. I get close.

4. DVR! Um, does anyone seriously watch commercials anymore? We don't. If we want to watch something, we'll purposely wait until about 30 min. in to start it so we can fast forward them. You can watch one thing, record another. You can catch a movie on Lifetime that aired at 3am. You can pause it when the kids are interrupting and being loud. You can get up to go to the bathroom or make some popcorn and not miss a thing. You can rewind it when you didn't see something...or when you did and it was so awesome, you want to watch it again. And you can get your hubby to watch Oprah once in a while because it was a really great one that even he would like. BEST invention of the 21st century....so far.

5. The Wii. Jay and I, for a long time, wouldn't allow any gaming systems in the house. We just had no desire to have the kids be spaced out in front of some shoot 'em up video game for hours on end. When the Wii came out, it seemed like the perfect way to get the best of both worlds. The kids could play their games, and we could let them knowing that they were actually up on their feet and moving around with it. It's also been a great source of family time and game nights. It is a little crazy though to see your 7 yr. old master an Ozzy Osbourne song on Guitar Hero on expert level while I can't even do beginner on an easy song.

6. Digital Cameras. Remember when you used to bring 5 rolls of film on vacation and hope that half the pictures turned out nice. Or when you got them developed and realized that none of the ones you were really hoping for worked. It was expensive and they pictures never even looked nice. I love that you can go on a week long trip and take 1000 pictures (I almost did that on our cruise) and have it not cost a thing and be able to have tons of great ones. Sweet. The only down side to digital photography is that you really don't have the good old photo albums tucked away in a trunk that you or the kids can pull out and look at once in a while. I used to love that as a kid. Sometimes I think I'm gonna get tons printed and put in albums. We'll see.

Isn't this fun? hehe....

Those are the main things that stick out in my mind. I'm sure there's more, but those are my can't-live-without things for now.
My honorable mention is McDonald's Diet Coke. Not Wendy's, not Burger King, not a can bought from the store......McDonald's. I don't know what it is....I seriously think they add something to it....like Heroin. I'm totally addicted. What can I say, I have to budget for it.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Very good post. Yes it amazes me with some of the things we can do now. I also love the Wii for the kids.