"Tell your children of Him, and let your children tell their children, and their children to another generation." Joel 1:3

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

We're never too small

God is such a part of my life and yet, I admit with regret, I don't make Him enough of my everyday life. I sometimes think that, too often, I talk to Him when I'm down or hurting or needing something. I pray for my kids and for their safety and health, but even that gets forgotten as heads are spinning and mittens are flying in a rush to get them out to the school bus every morning. I think it and I'll say a quick "God Bless You" as they rush away, then close the door, turn around, and not think about it again. Why is it that I don't have....make....the time like I should for Him and yet, if I were to call on Him, he would not be too busy for me? When I put it that way, it seems like a bad one-sided relationship. And, let's face it, one-sided relationships don't work....ever.
At church on Sunday, I was praying as we all do in church. I pray a lot for the things that weigh on my heart. I pray that I will be a better wife and mother. I pray for continued health of my family. And I am always thankful for everything I have. This Sunday, though, I didn't pray for anything I 'needed'. I was only thankful for my blessings....and I started to speak them to Him. It's easy to give a blanket 'thank you for all my blessings and family' prayer, but specifics really started to easily come to my mind and the more I listed them, the more grateful I was. I began to say these statements, one after another, in my head. As I did, the vision of a person I know appeared in my mind, a different person for every heartache. Someone that, in fact, IS going through these things. So my prayer of gratitude became, at the same time, my prayer for each one of my friends/family members that are suffering in some way or another.

Thank you, Lord, that we don't suffer the heartache of grief and loss.
Thank you, Lord, that we don't suffer the heartache of loneliness.
Thank you, Lord, that we don't suffer the heartache of infertility.
Thank you, Lord, that we don't suffer the heartache of addiction.
Thank you, Lord, that we don't suffer the heartache of poverty.
Thank you, Lord, that we don't suffer the heartache of disease.
Thank you, Lord, that we don't suffer the heartache of joblessness.
Thank you, Lord, that we don't suffer the heartache of divorce.
Thank you, Lord, that we don't suffer the heartache of being a non-believer.

It's hard to complain about anything when you can pray all these things. We live a truly blessed life and I am so grateful.
For my friends and family that do suffer these heartaches, God always has a plan for us. He knows the ache of our heart and hears our every cry. His plan may not be ours.....but it is far greater. I promise you, He is with you in your pain. He doesn't just hear you, He cries with you. He just asks patience as His plan unfolds.
Listen here for His promise.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Very well written, I agree with you on it and when you look around and realize even when you feel things are getting tough, There is so many things to be thankful.